Marine Cargo Insurance Claims
How to lodge a claim
- Immediate intimation to the insurance company or survey agents mentioned in the insurance policy / certificate
- Do not give a clean receipt when goods are received in unsound condition
- Give a notice in writing to the carrier or other bailees within three days, if loss or damage was not apparent at the time of accepting delivery
- Call for joint survey by carrier and / or other bailees representatives
- Take photographs of the consignment including damaged goods or packing
- Segregate sound goods from the damaged goods to prevent further aggravation of damage
- In case of road transport, obtain original certificate of facts from the carrier
- Cooperate with the surveyors in providing required documents and information on salvage process etc.
- Act as prudent uninsured
The above is a brief summary of the claims process and documentation, and not to be taken as exhaustive. The surveyor/Insurer/TPA may call for additional requirements on case to case basis.